With that said, I have decided to make something today! I have one spare apple left so I though apple cupcakes with a crumble topping. I've never tried making or eating them so lets hope they go down well, in more ways that one! I may post this recipe if it turns out well next time, as for now, we enter 'Baking Roulette'!
|A present from my friend last Christmas|
|Lazy photo, I used my webcam as I couldn't be bothered to get my camera :)|
Along with this is Baking Roulette #2! Seeing as I missed last months, I thought I had better remember this one. I can't believe we are already in August. My random pickings today have brought me to 'Cupcakes & Muffins, 100 everyday recipes' and the recipe is neither a cupcake nor a muffin, now there's contridiction for you! It's page 88 with Mocha Brownies, yum yum.
The Recipe - Mocha Brownies
Here's the recipe as it is in the book;
- 55g/2oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 115g/4oz plain chocolate
- 175g/6oz brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water, cooled
- 85g/3oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 55g/2oz roughly chopped pecan nuts
- Grease and line the bottom of a 20-cm/8inch square cake tin. Place the butter and chocolate in a heavy based saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Place the sugar and eggs in a large bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Fold in the chcolate mixture and cooled coffee and mix thoroughly. Sift in the flour and bakingp powder and lightly fold in the mixture, then carefully fold in the pecan nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven, 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, for 25-30 minutes or until firm and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes then roun a knife around the edge to loosen it. Turn the cake onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper. cool completely and when cold, cut into squares.
|Before the oven, I also added some chopped hazelnut over the top|
|Out of the oven|
The main other thing I found was I don't think there was enough coffee in it, though I did miss read the ingredients and thought it was a teaspoon not a tablespoon but I did add a bit more than I should anyways but that still wasn't enough, I think I could have not put any in and you wouldn't notice.
It came out the tin okay, but that's because I cheated and lined the tin fully but the top is very firm and has that sticky brownie top that brownies have and the rest is cake like. I just hope it takes the same =)